Sunday 19 March 2023

Mothers Day Poems

 

On Mothering Sunday, a couple of poems for all of us orphans.  My mother passed some time ago, long before she should have, and I still think about her almost every day and visit her grave from time to time... An inspirational, kind-hearted soul and my mum...

 

 

GOODBYE MUM

 

The morphine kicks in,

Liquid lull of warm blood, mixing, melding,

Rinsing those last corpuscles of thought.

 

You are drifting away from me,

Bleary eyed,

Scared,

Tired and weary...

You are drifting away from me.

 

I hold your hand,

Knowing that I'll never be able to do this again,

Because you are drifting away,

And love and memory hammers at my heart and brain

As I feel the tremble of life in your fingers, fade...

 

Goodbye Mum,

God bless

And great big hugs.

 

 

GRAVE FLOWERS

 

Wet flowers

Melting in my fingers,

Slimy stems

Disintegrating

As I pull them from the brass containers

Set in marble stone

At your grave.

 

I replace the flowers with new ones,

Bright yellow blooms shining brightly in the sun.

I know you can't see them,

But I wish you could.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment