Monday 6 March 2017

A couple of breaks!


There was a break in the tour of ‘Cathy’ during December when I unfortunately had a second break!  During a drunken moment at a local party I accepted a challenge to arm wrestle; something I’ve done a few times with varying success... however this time things didn’t go quite as planned and I ended up with a rather nasty broken arm – see picture!  Well of course it was my own stupid fault for taking part in the first place, but also rather stupidly I was kneeling at the table, so my opponent had a bit of an advantage and was always gonna beat me.  I felt things weren’t going well and was just about to call time on the whole endeavour when I heard a sickening crack and my arm was suddenly limp and was dangling in a pretty alarming manner.  The pain was excruciating, so an ambulance was called and off I went to hospital.  My first thought was ‘will I still be able to perform in the show in a few weeks time’, and with the aid of a sling which I wore for the first scene, thankfully the tour carried on and I didn’t let anyone down.  However, a few weeks later we were visiting a night club in Manchester after a late show and it had been snowing and the steps down to the entrance were wet and I slipped and fell on my arm and broke it again!  My arm is on the mend though now, but not quite so well knit together as I would have hoped.  But as you can see from the picture there is evidence of another break from some years previous – a metal plate, seven screws and six pieces of wire in my elbow from an injury on a building site where I was labouring.  I’m always doing stuff like this and Sarah remarked that life with me is never dull... Got to be more sensible in future though... but I did arm wrestle in my local pub with my left arm recently and won too!

No comments:

Post a Comment