Tuesday 13 November 2012

Goodbye Mum


Today is the anniversary of my mum's death.  She died of cancer a few years ago, and boy do I miss her still.  I couldn't get over to the cemetery in the Black Country where she is buried, so I thought I would post this poem that I wrote about her as a kind of tribute, I guess.  I was there with her at the end of her life, and although she was amazingly brave, it was tough - how can those last moments be anything else?  The poem is called, Goodbye Mum.

GOODBYE MUM

The morphine kicks in,
Liquid lull of warm blood, mixing, melding,
Rinsing those last corpuscles of thought.

You are drifting away from me,
Bleary eyed,
Scared,
Tired and weary...
You are drifting away from me.

I hold your hand,
Knowing that I'll never be able to do this again,
Because you are drifting away,
And love and memory hammers at my heart and brain
As I feel the tremble of life in your fingers, fade...

Goodbye Mum,
God bless
And great big hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment