Thursday 9 August 2012

Doctor Rock!

Healing slowly, but still have blood tests ahead.  In the meantime I've been working on getting fit again and have been out running; just between four and five miles at the moment, but a lot of it uphill because you can't really avoid that living in Malvern!  I used to go running regularly with the Malvern Hash Harriers - a running club that meets at a country pub somewhere different every week; we all then run a circular route, mostly across country and often through some tough terrain, but always ending at the same pub for a pint and a bite to eat; good fun, but it clashes with my band rehearsal night, so unfortunately I had to make a choice.  It's been good to be to hanging out with the band again though, and it's one thing that I was looking forward to getting back to when I was recovering in hospital.  In fact the day before I went into hospital we had a band rehearsal and recording session, and rather than spend the night at home, fretting and thinking the worst I decided to go - a good decision; positive adrenalin, although telling the guys I wouldn't be around for a while was hard... they knew something was up though, because I hadn't been in the pub with them for a while.  We're called The Dirty Harry Band and I'm the lead vocalist, we play mainly rock standards I guess - a mixture of stuff that includes Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Foo Fighters, etc. and we're always adding to the list.  We played a private party recently, which was my first chance to perform after my op: a gig in a beautiful massive garden on a fantastic sunny day; loads of people dancing and whooping for more - we was good!  And this last weekend we did a couple of gigs for the 'Malvern Rocks' festival in aid of Acorns - the local children's hospice; a cause given what I've been through recently that's important to me.   It's great to be up on stage again, jumping around, screaming my head off and generally acting like a demented kid half my age; I couldn't quite imagine it a few months ago - just what the doctor ordered really!  

No comments:

Post a Comment