Thursday 28 June 2012

Pilgrims


We went to Henri's funeral last week at Worcester Cathedral, a special place for all of us for all sorts of reasons.  It was while I was wandering around there some years ago that I came across the grave of a medieval pilgrim whose remains had been excavated a few years earlier.  His staff, boots and cockleshell hat were on display in the crypt; the shell signifying that he had walked all the way to Santiago de Compestela and perhaps even the Holy Land; an amazing journey, particularly at that time, and his skeleton bore the marks of it; deformed and twisted by arthritis and disease - he was obviously in great pain when he died.  But whom he was and how he came to be buried in such a significant place, no one knew.  And so I invented his story; a story of a battle for true faith, which I wrote up as a radio play and was directed by Peter Lesley Wild for BBC Radio 4.  The Cathedral staff and the Dean allowed me to research priceless documents and manuscripts in their amazing medieval library, and following the success of the radio play, the Dean commissioned me to write a son et lumiere production for the Cathedral, charting the history of the place from the founding to the present day, and some time later, Peter directed the stage version of The Worcester Pilgrim in the Cathedral itself with the Cathedral choir dressed as monks, singing plainchant.  Peter and his family are neighbours of Henri and her husband Erik who came along to see the play, and that's how we got to know them.   Henri's son sings in the choir now and so their family have strong links with the building too.  And so the service in that building meant something to all of us I think, and the choir added to the poignancy of the occasion, particularly when they sang Tavener's arrangement of Blake's 'Little Lamb Who Made Thee?' - it's so tender and moving, and was one of Henri's favourite pieces of music that she chose for her funeral before she passed away.  Afterwards we went to the wake, which was held at a nearby hotel on the banks of the River Severn.  Erik knew about my surgery, because I was working at his house when I was diagnosed.  I hadn't seen him since then, and so much had happened to both of us in a very short period of time, profound and serious and tragic.  I'm lucky - I'm still here and consequently the whole day for me had a strange significance; and not one for crying, I none the less found myself constantly fighting back tears, especially when Erik, recalling the past mentioned that Henri would often sing the Velvet Underground song, 'I'm sticking with you cause I'm made out of glue' to him.  Uncannily Sarah has been singing those very same words to me too for many years, and in fact sang it softly, holding my hand while I was lying in my hospital bed, veering between intense pain and blind panic.  Henri's three children are talented folk musicians and at the end of the day, together with a local band they played jigs and reels, reminding us all of how the family are united by their love of music and art.  And placed on an easel at one side of the band was a framed photograph of Henri laughing, leaning back in a deck chair with sun hat, shades and a pint of lager in her hand, just as I remembered her on the holiday we all shared that long weekend at Cropredy Festival.  Before we left, Erik told Sarah to make sure I got well and urged me to get out there and get on with the rest of my life.  I hope the rest of my life amounts to something; and it would be great if I could rustle up a few commissions and get my work out there again, and I suppose my writing has always been about searching for some kind of meaning, making sense of this crazy planet we all share, so I hope I can find some kind of truth along the way.  I guess we're all pilgrims really, bound together on a journey that will end the same for all of us, but searching for happiness, love and some kind of fulfilment along the way.  All in all a day that reminded me of the important things in my life, not so much my work, but my daughter, family and friends, and my beautiful, beautiful wife who through sickness and health is still sticking like glue.

No comments:

Post a Comment