Tuesday 20 March 2012

Me And The Multiverse.

No shift today (thank God!), so after dropping Sarah (my wife) off at the school where she teaches I set off for a walk up the Malvern Hills (which lie just at the back of our house). I plugged my mobile into the radio app and listened on headphones to Jim al-Khalili's programme, 'The Life Scientific' as I headed upwards. He was talking to the physicist, Tejinder Virdee, who is working at CERN, searching for the illusive 'Higgs Boson' particle (or more likely field); it's a fascinating programme. Last week he interviewed the Astronomer Royal, Martin Rees who apart from black holes also pondered the existence of the 'multiverse'. I love this stuff! Quantum physics is a real passion of mine, and I've been writing about it in my first novel, which I finished last year. It's really difficult to get publishers to read unsolicited manuscripts, but as I read a 'book at bedtime' for Radio 4 a few years ago (as an actor), I used the contact to send them my book - they actually read it. Not only that, they seriously considered publishing it. They hung on to it for a while and made encouraging noises, but eventually declined as they felt they didn't have enough experience publishing 'young adult' fiction. It's odd how people categorise fiction now; I thought I had written an adult book with a main character who is a young girl; it's going to be a trilogy, so eventually we'll see her older, and I was kind of thinking along the lines of how Dickens wrote 'David Copperfield. But apparently it's a 'young adult crossover' book. My daughter thinks it's the best thing I've written... I have no idea; I just know how much I enjoyed writing and researching it. But I definitely feel inspired now to carry on with the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment